Deering Island is part of the Southlands equestrian community and was developed in the late 1980s into the residential island that it is today. Deering’s history is varied – from Musqueum settlement to farming to BC Packers facility.
In term of it’s more recent history, the entire region was pre-empted primarily for dairy farming between the 1860s and 1870s. The area was logged intensively in the 1880s. In 1893, the Celtic Cannery was built at the foot of what is now Balaclava Street. In 1902, fishing was big business, and the BC Packers company bought Deering Island (then known as Mud Island) and used it as part of their fish-packing business.